Wednesday, October 19, 2011

You can take the girl out of central Pennsylvania ...

I've been back in America for 16 months now and I'm still being knocked out by every sighting of the deeply forested mountains surrounding my hometown.  It is Autumn (my favorite season) and the foliage is glorious but it's more than "just" that.

 

I loved living by the ocean in both Atlantic City and Galway.  There's such tranquility to the natural rhythm of the sea and I loved breathing the salt-cleansed air.  In Galway, the mountains of Clare were visible so I was even more content there than in New Jersey.  Still, the Irish mountains are different from those of Pennsylvania; beautiful but for me not quite "right".  Probably just because I was born and raised here but there's little logic in emotion and even in Galway, I missed my own mountains.

 

I've always been awed by them but I now feel an even deeper appreciation, having been away from them for so very long.  Looking at them, I feel as I do when looking at a particularly clear night sky.  Star gazing gives me peace and perspective.  Watching the ocean and being lulled by the Earth's heartbeat provides the same clarity.  Looking at the mountains yields the same humbling, don't-sweat-the-small-stuff, look-at-the-big-picture-instead advice.

 

It doesn't matter what season it is.  The trees can be wearing the alarmingly bright new leaves of Spring, the rich green of Summer, the flaming yellows, oranges and reds of Autumn or they can be totally sky-clad in Winter.  Regardless, rounding a corner and being surprise-kissed by the sight of one of those majestic geological formations brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Wait,what? You're a Galway Girl???? I always knew that you lived in Ireland for all those years, but never knew it was in Galway! Not that I have any real connection to Galway, it's just one of my favorite songs done by Steve Earl and many others, but made more popular in the movie, P.S. I Love You.
    Anyhow, I agree with your observation about the mountains of central Pennsylvania. As a truck driver most of my life, and now a bus driver, I have seen a lot of this beautiful country! But as I return "home" I am always in awe of the beauty that we are so blessed to have right here in our own back yard! And I am sure that there are those that would disagree with us. Maybe it's personal perspective. Maybe it's where you grow up, and that's probably true and what you call your own "back yard".
    But just yesterday, as my youngest son and I were on our way home from his drum lessons, I was in awe of the sun peeking out from under the clouds at sunset and shining brightly on the western facing side of Brush Mountain, lighting up the fall foliage! I was yelling at him to stop texting long enough to look at this amazing sight!!! Well, at 13, he didn't quite get it1 LOL But someday, someday I hope he will,and if he is anything like me, I know he will.
    Your friend always, Mark Fasick

    ReplyDelete