Friday, October 14, 2011

Cultures Divided by a Common Language

I realized with surprise that I’ve now lived exactly the same amount of time in America as I have abroad.

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania but began moving progressively further away from home when I was 17.  I lived very briefly in New Jersey and then in Texas for nearly 3 years. From there, I moved to Ireland, where I lived in Belfast for 4 years, in Dublin for a grand total of 2 weeks, and then in Galway for a year.  I next moved to England, staying put in London for 21 years. Finally, I returned to my hometown just over a year ago.

Fortunately, while living in London, I visited Rome and Barcelona but that’s as much an incursion as I managed to make into Europe.

I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed everywhere I’ve been, although admittedly I didn’t always understand everyone and everything I experienced.

I suffered culture shock when I first moved to Belfast in December 1983 and, although I thought I’d remained as staunchly American as I’d always been (the accent never so much as wavered), I suffered an equal dose when I returned to Altoona in June 2010.  I suppose all those years abroad did leave a mark, as well as an impression, after all.

Two statements made in my hearing, equally incorrect and 27 years apart, summarize for me what I know of cultures divided by a common language.  In 1983 a man in Belfast said, “Americans know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”  In 2011 a woman in Altoona said, “Foreigners understand nothing about us.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite surprised that despite the subject at hand you never wrote about sterotypes or racism. As an American in Ireland you must have experienced some if not alot.

    Don't forget all the stupid double sterotypes that are against eachother. In some countries Americans are seen by those who like the movie stars as glamarous and good looking while others will pay attention to the random rednecks you see on news stories and think of Americans as fat and uneducated.

    In the same way, the Americans look at the English sometimes as very charming and attractive while other times as bumbling halfwits.

    ReplyDelete