Thursday, December 15, 2011

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

I'm really at a bit of a loss at the moment to understand how some people can justify preparing to celebrate a season of peace, love and goodwill towards all men by demonstrating an attitude of religious intolerance and hostility.

 

I have seen recent posts on social networks from outraged people over terms such as "holiday trees" and being wished a "happy holiday".  These rants usually concern wanting everyone to call it a "Christmas tree" and to speak the words "Merry Christmas" to one another.  I have also seen people demonstrating, both for and against, a nativity scene being placed in front of a government building.

 

Personally, I'd like to see a little more common sense applied at this time of year. 

 

My first point is that this is not just the Christmas season.  Hanukkah will be celebrated from December 20th through December 28th.  Yule will be celebrated December 22nd.  Christmas will be celebrated December 25th.  Perhaps, rather than attempting to "rob" Christians of Christmas, people speaking the words "Happy Holidays" are merely wishing to convey glad tidings, not knowing whether you will be celebrating Hanukkah, Yule, Christmas or, as an atheist, your interest lies more in New Year's Day. 

 

I will be celebrating Yule but am very happy to be wished a "Merry Christmas" by my Christian friends or a "Happy Hanukkah" by my Jewish friends.  I'm not sure if I have any atheist friends but, if I do, please feel free to wish me "Happy Holidays".  The important thing, to me, is the hope for my happiness and I'm grateful for the sentiment, regardless of how it's expressed.  (And, just in case you're wondering, it's "Blessed Yule" but "Bright Blessings" is appropriate for all occasions.)

 

My second point is that people of several religions have adopted the use of a decorated tree at this time of year.  Ladies and gentlemen of the Christian persuasion, it's about time you were disabused of the notion that this tradition began with you.  Bringing an evergreen into the home at this time of year began in Pagan homes long before the birth of Jesus.  I have Jewish friends who have a "Christmas tree" in their homes every year because they enjoy it every bit as much as Christians and Pagans do.  In fact, these particular friends call it a "Christmas tree" in an effort to avoid offending their Christian neighbors, which I find very considerate.  I call mine a "Christmas tree" because I grew up Christian and the term is habitual.  I suppose it would be more correct to call it a "holiday tree" but I'm not one of those who are easily upset by such things.  Call it what you like but please stop dictating to others that it must be a "Christmas tree" and for goodness sake stop complaining that others are trying to steal it from you, especially when it originated elsewhere.

 

As a third point, I'd like to address the nativity scene in front of the government building.  Like Thomas Jefferson, I'm a huge proponent of the wall of separation between church and state.  Having said that, I'm not at all offended as an American if my fellow citizens of the Christian religion wish to erect, in front of a government building, a Christian religious scene during the holiday season.  Why would I be?  I'm too busy celebrating peace, love and goodwill towards all men to nit-pick over something that's doing me no harm and is, in all honesty, aesthetically pleasing.  I personally consider those demonstrating against it to have too much time on their hands and not enough tolerance in their hearts.  Likewise, I mind the erectors labeling those who object "un-American".  I mind that a lot, actually, and I imagine President Jefferson turning over in his grave each time I hear it.

 

I will sign off by wishing you all "Happy Holidays" … and by that I mean "Blessed Yule", "Happy Hanukkah", "Merry Christmas", and "Happy New Year".  I hope each of you receives a full and healthy dose of happiness and that you are able to spread the good cheer to everyone you encounter, both in real life and online.

No comments:

Post a Comment